Last night I went to dinner with friends at one of my favorite Italian restaurants – a tavola. During the course of the evening the conversation naturally led to Sunday’s big game and (of course) the snacks planned for the event. While I’ve recently featured some appetizers, I noticed that I haven’t posted any hearty game day food – what was I thinking?! These Chili Chicken Tacos should definitely make up for my oversight!
Since the chicken simmers in a slow-cooker you can easily assemble everything well in advance, and the dish should be ready by game time. The actual prep time is only about 10-15 minutes. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to meet the needs of your group.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and ground pepper
- your favorite taco shell – hard or soft, flour or corn
- cilantro, lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, lime wedges and sour cream for serving (optional)
In a slow cooker, combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chiles, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Cover, cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours – stir occasionally.
Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl and shred, using two forks; moisten with cooking juices. Serve in taco shells with desired toppings.
original recipe found here